I made a TIE DYE CAKE for a birthday party of my friend. Actually it’s for his son’s 3rd birthday, but I kinda hate him for already having a son when he’s younger than me! How could he??? AND his wife just gave birth to their 2nd child!! WHATT?? *end rants*
Anywaayy… the cake, yes. I was reluctant because, ONE, I don’t take order on birthday cake. NEVER. TWO, I have limited tools for decorating cakes. But he begged, and begged, and I let him begged some more, just for good measures, before I caved and agreed to bake him this cake. Of course, with a fair warning of I’M NOT THAT GOOD AT DECORATING FULL ON CAKE YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!!
- 200 gr butter
- 400 gr sugar
- 4 eggs
- 450 gr flour
- 1 teaspoon baking
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 200 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- food coloring (I use 7 colors to represent the rainbow…. 6 actually)
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit /180 degrees celcius.
- grease and line two 20cmx20cm baking pan.
- Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- add the eggs one by one, beat for about 3-5 more minutes until the mixture is pale in colour.
- Measure the milk and vanilla into a measuring thing.
- Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine.
- Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
- divide batter into 6 equals part. Colors each part with one color of the rainbow.
- here’s the cool and messy part. On each color, you divide by two again, pour unto the middle of each pan.
- do the same with the other colors, pour on top of each color. Let rest for a while until the batter distributed evenly on filling the pan.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. keep it until cool on a cooling rack.
By now I think you already know that I don’t make my own butter cream from scratch. I bought a pre made butter mix that only needs lots of beating until it doubles and fluffy. You can easily find butter cream recipe, just google it. I made about a half kilo of vanilla butter cream, then took about 100 gram to mix it with 100 gram chocolate ganache and 1 cup of chopped fresh strawberry for the layering.
Trim the edges of the cake. Spread the chocolate strawberry mixture on top of one cake then put the 2nd cake on top of it. Frost all around the cake with the vanilla butter cream until smooth. covered with colored sprinkles.
Now, sily me I forgot to take pictures of the cake before serving. but then I asked him to take photo of the cake after cutting. He send me this poorly shot photos. Boo.. But who am I to complain, miss-I-still-use-my-blackberry-camera-for-everything.
Tasted amazing, btw!!