so yesterday I bought a sushi mat and dying to try it. I looooove sushi & sashimi, but since I know I’m not an expert yet, so I skipped on the raw ingredients. I use this video as my tutorial, including on how to make the sushi rice and tamago. I include the video here because there’s is no way I can explain you how to roll a sushi using pictures only.
As for the fillings, I used my own interpretation on it. Not to mention that I cannot get my hand on some of the ingredients on the video.
- Nori sheets
- tuna in can
- kani (crab stick)
- 4 eggs
- cooked rice
- rice vinegar
- sushi & sashimi soy sauce
- beat the eggs, 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt. Make & prepare the tamago just like in the video.
- cut the cucumber and crab sticks. Make a mixture of the tuna flakes with mayonnaise.
- make the sushi rice, which I use about a big bowl of cooked rice and 4 tbsp of rice vinegar + 1 tbsp of sugar + 1 tsp of salt. Prepare the sushi rice just like in the video.
- place a sheet of nori on the bamboo mat. Spread the rice thinly on top of the nori, leaving an inch of nori on one of the edge. Remember to keep your hand wet with vinegar water. *important, it’s to keep your hand sterile as well, not just to prevent sticking*
- place the fillings on top of each other, prepare to roll.
- So, this is where the video work its magic, because I have no pictures on the rolling process.
- Wet the knife, cut the sushi in half, than cut again into eight pieces.
- I made 3 kinds of sushi maki. Kani+cucumber+tamago roll, kani+cucumber+tamago+tuna mayo roll, and tamago+tuna mayo roll.
- dip in the soy sauce and eat!